The LTAC recommends the following rates for translation contracts:
- $0.35 per word for poetry
- $0.28 per word for drama
- $0.25 per word for other genres
Please keep in mind that rates vary from translator to translator depending on experience and expertise. The above rates are meant to represent what the LTAC believes the base payment should be based on inflation and the cost of living.
Our proposed rates represent minimum rates that can be negotiated, by mutual agreement, depending on various factors. Rates are valid from May 1, 2021 to April 30, 2022. The below rates shall be reassessed and updated as necessary.
- Round table and/or panel participation: $150 (60 mins)
- Round table and/or panel moderation: $255 (60 mins)
- Conference and/or keynote appearance: $266.25 (60 mins)
- Readings in a collective: $80
- Workshops: $500 half day, $1000 full day
- Blog submissions for Outposts: $40 for 250 to 499 words, $65 for 500 words and up.
If you wish to apply to the LTAC for funding for an upcoming event, click here. For a more comprehensive list of rates and conditions, please visit the Union des écrivaines et des écrivains Québécois website. For the translation rates used by the Canada Council for the Arts in their Arts Across Canada program, please click here.