Renée Von Paschen
City : Vienna
Country : Austria
Affiliations : PEN America Writers Association, IG Übersetzerinnen (Austrian Literary Translators Association),
Membership category : Full member
- German -> English
- French -> English
- English -> German
- Non fiction
- Children's / YA Literature
- Dubbing or Subtitling
- Other(s): Scholarly Articles, University Textbooks,
About / Bio
Canadian Citizen. Professional literary translator, bilingual poet and scholar. Adjunct Professor of Theater Studies at Webster University; Lecturer in Theater Studies and Literary Translation at the University of Vienna/Austria. Postdoc fellowship at the Center for Austrian Studies, University of Minnesota in 2013. M.A. in Gender Studies; PhD in Theater, Film and Media Studies (University of Vienna). Renée's poetry and literary translations have been published in English, German and French in Canada, United States and Europe, including Austria, England, Germany, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Switzerland, etc. She is a member of PEN America Writers' Association, and LTAC Literary Translators' Association of Canada. As a professional literary translator, Renée has translated dozens of wonderful poets from the German and French into English. Renée writes poetry because she translates it, and she translates poetry because she writes it. Renée creates her own original poems in English and/or German, and she also re-creates German and French poets' work. It's a language game either way. A new bilingual book of poetry with Robert Paquin called VICE VERSA is being launched by QUATTRO BOOKS in Toronto in Nov 2017.
- Von Paschen, Renée & Paquin, Robert: VICE VERSA - Poetry in English & French, Beatriz Hausner, (ed.), Quattro Books, Toronto 2017, ISBN 978-1-988254-49-4
- Von Paschen, Renée: Poetry / Lyrik / Poésie (66 Poems) in: Forgotten Voices, National Myths: Literary Relations between Austria and Canada (Vergessene Stimmen, nationale Mythen: Literarische Beziehungen zwischen Österreich und Kanada) Innsbruck Series canadiana oenipontana 15, Nicole Perry & Marc-Oliver Schuster (eds.), Innsbruck University Press, Innsbruck 2019.
- Von Paschen, Renée: Peter Turrini's Plays and Poetry in English Translation; Zu Hause bin ich nur am Theater: Zur internationalen Rezeption des Dramatikers Peter Turrini, Christine Grond (ed.), Schriftenreihe des Archivs der Zeitgenossen, Bd. 3, Studienverlag, Vienna/Innsbruck 2016, ISBN 9- 783706-555258.
- Seisenbacher, Maria: Poetry in LYRIK Versopolis, Llubljana/SL 2016: http://www.versopolis.com/poet/133/maria-seisenbacher/poem/1315/inschrift
- Von Paschen, Renée: Poetry – Gender Snapshots in English and German; TransCultural - Journal of Translation and Cultural Studies, Vol. 7, No. 1, Anne Malena (ed.), University of Alberta, Edmonton 2015, ISSN 1920-0323: http://ejournals.library.ualberta.ca/index.php/TC/article/view/24511/18598
- Franzobel: Mayerling - An Austrian Tragedy, Thomas Sessler Verlag, Vienna 2014.
- Von Paschen, Renée: 18 Poems in English & German translation (transl. by Krutak, v. Paschen & Schwehla) in Metamorphoses Journal of Literary Translation; Thalia Pandiri (ed.), Vol. 18-2, Fall 2010, Northampton/MA, USA, ISSN 1068-7831.
- Krott, Max: Forest Policy Analysis, Springer Science Publishing, Dordrecht/NL 2005, 323 pp. ISBN 1- 4020-3478-4. (University Textbook)
- Roth, Joseph: Northern Berlin in June ; Exchanges Literary Journal, Peter Bush (ed.), University of Iowa, USA, Summer 2004.
- The Art of Life - Artificial Life: Austrian Literature at EXPO 2000 (P. Handke, E. Jandl, J. Nestroy, H. Spiel, G. Trakl, P. Turrini, von Horvath, F. Werfel, etc.), G. Pichler & M. Hall (eds.), Buchmarketing Verlag, Vienna 2000, ISBN 3-901944-02-8.
Education / Training
University of Vienna: PhD in Theater, Film & Media Studies
M.A. Women's Studies & International Feminist Research
Awards & Distinctions
Pascal, Daniel: Mazeltov! – A Farce, Thomas Sessler Verlag, Vienna 2009.
** Shortlisted for the Austrian Cultural Foundation Translation Prize 2009
The Vampire Princess – Die Vampirprinzessin: Dir. Klaus Steindl
& Andreas Sulzer; Smithsonian Network, History Channel, ORF, ZDF,
ARTE (Austria / Germany / USA, 2007)
** Won American CINE Golden Eagle Award for Best History Documentary 2008