The Literary Translators Association of Canada (LTAC) and the Maison de la littérature have teamed up to offer a two-week translation residency in Quebec City. From February 16 to 29, 2020, two participants—a translator and their author—will work together at the Maison de la littérature on a translation in progress. They will have access to an apartment at the Maison de la littérature, in the heart of Vieux-Québec. LTAC will offer a per diem and travel assistance, as well as professional support tailored to the translator’s needs. The Maison de littérature will match the per diem as well as offer the equivalent of a round-trip bus ticket within Quebec for the author participating in the residence. The successful candidates will also each receive a $150 honorarium for their participation in a public reading that will culminate the residency.
– Candidates must have published at least one book-length translation with an established house or had a translation for the stage produced professionally.
– The translator or author of the work on which the project is based must be a resident of the province of Quebec.
– Preference could be given to translators with a signed publishing contract relating to the work on which the project is based.
– Eligible projects: translations of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, children’s literature, short stories or drama.
How to Apply
- Project proposal: A brief description of the work being translated and its author (300 to 400 words);
- Statement of objectives: What does the translator wish to accomplish with their author during the residency? (300 mots);
- CV: A resume describing the translator’s academic, professional, and other relevant experience;
- Short artist biographies (100 words) for the translator and author;
- Statement of permission to translate the work;
- Statement from the author that they wish to participate in the residency;
- Publishing contract or expression of interest from a publisher or professional theatre company;
- Short excerpt (5 to 10 pages) of the work being translated, both in its original form and as translated by the candidate.
The deadline for submissions is Monday, December 23, 2019.
Participants will be selected by representatives of the Literary Translators Association of Canada and the Maison de la littérature.
For questions or to submit your application, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo Credit: Nadia Morin